9:30 am, 35* and
warming
Into the Glorious Sun
The morning reminds me of why we chose to live on the east
side of the mountains. Sun, glorious
sun! I'm out by myself today...Tikaani
went on a long snowshoe with my neighbors earlier and hasn't returned yet. The variable temperatures of the past few
weeks make the snow magic right now! For
walking. The thaw/freeze cycle has
settled the snow so that it is dense and firm.
My boots hardly leave a print as I walk towards the Game Range...it's a
great day to be outside, exploring.
I notice first the absence of paw prints. Tikaani and I have been hearing coyotes close
by over the past few days. Travel is
easier for them when the snow conditions are like this, I am aware of them
spreading out over the hills and coming in closer to the house. They always worry Tikaani with their
howling. She howls back. I wrote a poem about them:
Coyotes up the
ChewuchValley
(for Tikaani)
Coyotes come closer in
after dark. They
worry Tikaani
with their circling.
We listen to their old stories,
but we do not know
what they say.
They are not ghosts,
but they have their secrets.
In the morning, we follow prints
on the road, scratchings, drops
of blood, fur-woven scat.
Tikaani drops her shoulder
into their abandoned scents; follows
their belly marks over bitterbrush.
She wants to know
what they know.
She wants to sing
what they sing.
There
are fan shapes in the snow's surface.
Wind scattered pine needles from far off trees have made their way here,
and have become encased as the snow softened in the days of thawing. The snow is not nearly as smooth as last
post, "shellacked "was how I described it; today it's surface is covered
with patterns of mesh. Almost as if
someone had placed a net on top of it, and left it to set an imprint on the
snow.
I
am not alone today, after all. In the
distance I see two skiers who are making their way down the northern
slope. They are having a hard time, the
snow doesn't give much today, even to ski edges. I see also now, imprints of two snowshoes...my
neighbor have been out in the past few days.
I
watch the small black-capped chickadees flit from aspen to pine. I feel the warm press of sun on my back. At my feet now, I notice very slight impress
of paws...dogs and coyotes have recently
passed this way. There is not one cloud
in the sky. Just a thin haze to the
south. To the Northwest, Sweet Grasse
Butte rises boldly, fully covered in snow.
It
is still. Except for the movement across
the slope to the west. It's my neighbors
now, two humans and four dogs...one of those dogs is Tikaani. She's difficult
to spot against the snow...but as I watch closely, I see her dark saddle (she's
got some german shephard in her) move alongside my friends. The walkers are moving black vertical
shapes...easy to see.
I
notice lines, apparent in the snow's surface.
I can't tell if these lines are tracks of a mouse, or telltale of a
creature's movements beneath the snow.
Or the marks are signs of the snow itself, as it heaves and moves with
changing temperatures. I don't see any
sign of small foot prints on either side of the line, so I think it is only the
snow's own story it is telling today.
A
few cows are bawling in the distance. I
hear also, the sound of a machine...loud and constant in its rumbling. I wonder if someone is having a well dug? As I walk across the broad field, I notice
that where someone skied across a while ago, the pole marks have widened, they
now look as big as draft horse shoeprints in the snow. The snow is slightly pock-marked here by mist
and last week's rain. I am creating my
own company of noise, with each boot step, the snow crunches.
I've
decided to visit my favorite tree on this bench... the old apple tree I've
written about before. I notice there is
rusty red new growth on some of the branches, and leaf buds. The tree does not stand straight, but lives
in a constant bend towards the east and the south. Most of our wind comes out of the North, so
this must be why. The trunk is
tattered. There is a hole in one of the
twists of the trunk, I can see right through it to the ground. There is some type of lichen on the tree, a
deep mustard color. There are holes in
the snow around the base of the tree, each holds a single dry leaf. At the very base of the tree, there is a
small patch of earth showing, it's thick with dead grasses. I'm surprised to see that there is actually
two places where young green blades of grass have begun to seek the sun!
I
notice a few strands of horse hair caught on the bark. There have been mules pastured here at times,
and I imagine more than a few of them have sought the shade that this tree
provides, or it's made a nice rubbing place for an itchy mane.
Something's
bothering a neighbor...I can hear a squirrel in the closest cluster of
pines. He is chattering away...to warn
his community about some possible danger.
I wonder if I'll see something larger, and darker soon in this blue,
blue sky.
Heading
home. A hear a bird, singing. I'm not sure, it might be a phoebe. I walk
above the place where we tied prayer flags between two shrubs. I won't visit that place today. I'm going to walk, alone, with the sun on my
face. I'm going to follow that sweet bird
song all the way home.
I like your poem. :-) I like the idea of coyotes having secrets. Their howl is so mysterious. You also say the snow tells its own story. That's an intriguing thought, especially because snow keeps footprints like a scrapbook. At least until it thaws. Your ending presents an interesting decision, too. You bypass that particular place of memory and move on. Some days, I guess that's just the wisest thing to do.
ReplyDeleteYour attention to detail, the ability to discern even the smallest, most notable detail in a familiar place, is so skillfully evoked here. It is a reminder that there are always details worth seeing, even when the world is seemingly buried in the monotony of snow.
ReplyDelete